This is an authentic taste of the old Bulgarian kozunak! Soft, rich and juicy… The recipe is my own creation, so please share it only with this link!
Fluffy Bulgarian kozunak (Easter bread)
- 200 ml warm milk
- 14 grams dried yeast or 40-50 grams fresh yeast
- 200-240 grams white sugar
- 84 grams honey (not homemade)
- 120 grams yogurt
- 1 grated lemon or orange zest
- 4 whole large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp of rum (some 40° alcohol)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 0.5-1 ml essence of rum
- Approx. 1150 grams of whole wheat flour with more than 12% of proteins (I often use even less, but its it’s really hard)
- 100 grams softened lard
- 150 grams softened butter
*** All the products are with room temperature!!! The room must be warm during the kneading and the shaping!!!
*** I recomend you to use honey from the shop, because it’s not pure and it’s lighter than homemade. Homemade honey can be very strong and will make difficult rising of the dough.
PRODUCTS FOR THE FILLING:
- Raisins soaked in rum (30 grams of rum for 100 grams of raisins)
- Dried fruits
- Chocolate chip
- Turkish delight
- Jam or marmalade
PRODUCTS FOR THE TOP:
- 1 yolk mixed with 1-2 tbsp of milk
- Granulated sugar
- Almonds, walnuts, pecans…
2. Combine yeast mixture with the rest of the products for the dough, except lard and butter. Knead the dough with your hands then close it in a greased plastic bag or a big bowl. Set in a warm place to triple its size (90 minutes in my case bu it can be longer).
3. Gradually add soft lard and butter, kneading for a long time (60-90 minutes) until they are absorbed and the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Close it in a bag and place in a warm place to ferment (to triple its size), maybe 60-120 minutes.
4. You can see how to shape the dough in my video. I recommend to make 3 or 4 breads.
5. Put the kozunak in a baking pan covered with baking paper or greased. Cover with transparent foil to prevent drying and let it double or triple its size, in a warm place.
6. Prepare the egg wash for brushing the bread by whisking together 1 yolk and 1-2 tbsp of milk.
Wash the rised bead, decorate with some nuts (if you want) and sprinkle with generous amount of sugar.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C with a pot of water inside, for 35-45 minutes (depends of the size).
8. After cooling completely (on a rack) the bread can stay in a plastic bag for a few days.
This publication is NOT available for commercial use! Thank you!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxNPFh0JT4EIrsfT-O8pjtw
THIS IS THE FULL VIDEO RECIPE:
Thank you very very much for the recipe. Its excellent.
All the best.
Thank you for you opinion! Best wishes! ❤
This is the best easter bread that I have ever made!!!! Perfect!!! Excellent!!!! Delicious!!! 🙂
But I can’t find the video any more… 🙁
Thank you so much for your opinion!!! You have to try and the rest of the recipes for Easter Bread on my page, they’re also amazing!
There’s a problem with the video but it will be restored soon! You can see another video, from another recipe for Easter Bread. Here’s the link: https://youtu.be/ppfiztV3nkw
Best wishes for you and your family! ❤
Can I omit the honey ??
Thank you very very much!! Happy Easter from Greece!
Добре де, Български козунак, а рецетата на БГ може ли?
Светли празнични дни!❤
Много благодаря! Весели празници и се пазете! ❤
Best wishes to you and thanks for the recipe.
ΣΕ ΕΥΧΑΡΙΣΤΩ ΠΟΛΥ ΧΡΙΣΤΙΝΑ !EXCELENT!!!!!!!
I’ve tried a few different recipes and this has been the most successful! Thank you for sharing!
It’s a pleasure for me! 😘
Hi. Can I use instead of lard butter?
Yes, but it’s better to mix oil and butter. 😘
Hey Kristina! Can I use sunflower oil and butter instead of lard and butter? And how much oil? Thank you, the recipe looks amazing, I plan to try it for Easter now!
Hi Liljana! Yes, the same amount of oil. 😘
Cristina sei cosi gentile a dirmi come posso stampare la ricetta perche non riesco a stampare dice che non sono abilitata. grazie
Non si può stampare, mi dispiace!
Could I use all purpose flour instead of whole wheat? I can run out and buy some, but if I don’t have to I wont!
Thanks for the wonderful recipe btw 🙂
Hi Alexa! Yes, you can use all purpose flour. 😘
Peut-on utiliser uniquement du beurre pour votre magnifique recette et supprimer le saindoux ? Merci pour votre réponse.
Bonjour! Vous pouvez utiliser de l’huile, mais ce n’est pas recommandé. 🙂